May 25, 2017

A Sudbury boy’s stolen childhood

It wasn't until he had his own child, relatively late in life, that Keith Vincent realized what had been lacking so much in his own youth -- and, indeed, most of his adulthood.

"I started realizing what had happened to me," he says. "Before that, I was just in denial, or survival, whatever you want to call it. But when he started to do that, I knew then that there was something wrong with me. I'd never had that (feeling of safety), even with the authorities who were there to protect me, namely the Children's Aid Society."

Vincent says he was the first victim of Chadbourne at Northhome but far from the last. When he was interviewed by police in 1992 about his experiences at the facility, he learned "16 kids had the same story," he says. "They weren't there at the same time, but they all had the same story."

"If it goes to trial I think this will be the first case against a CAS in Ontario," Merritt says. "I am not aware of any other civil cases against Ontario CASs that have gone to trial."

To read the full article, please click here